Thursday 28 July 2016

A Walk Around Waterford City




First of all, I want to apologise for not posting anything for almost a week now. I have good days and I have bad days. I have mostly good days, but when I have a bad day, it can take a couple of days to recover from it. It also doesn’t help if I stay up too late at night. When I get working in something that I am interested in, I have a tendency to give it my full concentration. Sometimes, I even forget some of the daily housekeeping that I need to do in order for things not to back up on me. Anyway, please be patient with me. I am still a work in process.



After visiting New Ross in Wexford, our trip took us to Waterford City, in County Waterford. It is situated on the River Suir not far where the River Suir and the River Barrow join before flowing into the Atlantic Ocean. The River Suir and the River Barrow are two of the Three Sisters, with the third sister being the River Nore. The River Nore joins with the River Barrow before meeting with the River Suir. This all takes place on the southeast coast of Ireland.

Waterford has a very long history. Waterford was one of the first communities established by the Vikings in 853 AD. It wasn’t 50 years before the Irish forced the Vikings out. Because of this settlement, Waterford had the distinction of being Ireland’s first city.


Approximately 250 years later, Diarmait Mac Murchada, the deposed King of Leinster, tried to take Waterford and failed. Three years later, he came back with mercenaries and Richard de Clare, the 2nd Earl of Pembroke, and took the city after some desperate defense. King Henry II came in 1171 and declared that Waterford and Dublin were royal cities and Dublin the capital of Ireland.

Waterford went through the English political problems with two pretenders wanting to base themselves there. They also went through the Protestant Reformation but afterward remained Catholic. There were other events throughout history, but I will let you look some of it up yourselves.



Originally, we were supposed to have our walking tour after we had dinner in Wexford, but something caused it to be changed. We were hungry and tired, and would have appreciated having some time to eat and relax before going on the tour. As it was, we were waiting for quite a period of time for our guide to arrive, and, I think that all of us were getting to the point that we wanted to forego the tour.



Our guide was Jack Burtchaell and he was running late when we arrived in Waterford. He finally arrived and took us around the harbour area for an hour’s tour. This area of Wexford had a nice blend of history and modern conveniences. The oldest building was a short tour not far from the harbour. I have included a few pictures that I took while on the tour. There is even a replica of a Viking longboat in the tourist area.



One thing that I would like to mention is that one of my ancestors came to Canada and probably came either through New Ross or through Waterford to board the ship. I would like to go back to Waterford and spend some time there, a few days anyway, to get to know the city better. Maybe by that time, I will know which ports my ancestors travelled through.


No comments:

Post a Comment